Dandapani is a Hindu priest and creator of the Unwavering Focus and Introduction to Meditation courses, as well as the Dandapani: Learn to Focus app. Before spending ten years of his life as a monk under the tutelage of the guru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, Dandapani graduated from university with a degree in Electrical Engineering. In addition to his priesthood, Dandapani is an entrepreneur who has worked with athletes and organizations such as the Commonwealth Bank of Australia and Nike. Additionally, he is also a speaker whose TEDx Talk, Unwavering Focus, has garnered over 3 million views on YouTube. Dandapani empowers people all over the world by teaching them how to cultivate focus and concentration through the techniques that have been used by Hindu monks for thousands of years.
Dandapani joins me today to discuss the power of focus and concentration. He explains how concentration is something everyone is told to do but not taught how to do and underscores the importance of understanding the mind. He shares the story of how he became a monk and describes his mission to build a botanical garden in Costa Rica. He also enumerates the differences between the mind and awareness, as well as reveals how you can experience the divinity within yourself through the act of writing.
“Concentration is the first fundamental step to change.” – Dandapani
This week on The School for Good Living Podcast:
- Why Dandapani has dedicated his life to teaching people to develop their focus and concentration
- The importance of understanding the mind, how concentration can be taught, and why concentration comes before meditation
- The guru that inspired Dandapani to live ten years in a monastery as a monk
- The purpose of Dandapani’s botanical garden project in Costa Rica
- Finding a philosophy you can commit to, and the fear of people over getting associated with a religion or spirituality
- Why Dandapani recommends reading Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
- The difference between the mind and awareness, and how learning to control your awareness impacts the mind
- The path of the householder and why there’s nothing wrong with making money
- The power of writing as a creative tool to eradicate unresolved emotions